Off-road touring can be a zesty enterprise, but it’s not without its perils. Bicycles are simple machines that are extremely efficient, but all simple machines carry along with them the chance of breaking down. This efficiency can get you in trouble if your bike decides to break down far away from the comforts of your parent’s basement. If you’re going to ride your bicycles where no one can see, you better take gear that’s up to the task. Troll is up to the task.
Our Troll was once a simple mountain bike frame with a few extras that made it nice for touring. The Troll has evolved into a frame that has been pushed deeper into the category of off-road touring. Its geometry is no longer suspension corrected, which gives it more room for a larger frame bag. We’ve also adorned this frame with our Gnot-Boost spacing, allowing you to use any mountain bike hub whether it be 135mm QR, 12 x 142mm thru-axle, or 12 x 148mm Boost hub. The chainstay yoke has been redesigned to be fully compatible with 26+ tires and comes with the always-comfy Surly Moloko Bar. The dropouts still allow you to run disc brakes, fenders, a Rohloff hub, and racks simultaneously. It also comes with more braze-ons than you thought possible – there are four triple bottle mounts on the fork alone (don’t get excited, you can only run one Anything Cage per fork leg), as well as two more triple bottle mounts on the down tube.
Troll is a bike that has one purpose – and that purpose is to carry you as far away from society as possible. Man has known for eons the call of the indifferent forest. The inexorable march of time, and dumb shit like cell phones, have dulled our senses and made us afraid. Reclaim your animalistic tendencies atop Man’s greatest invention.
- Surly 4130 chromoly steel, main triangle double-butted
- Horizontal slotted with derailleur hanger, 145mm Gnot-Boost O.L.D. Features Rohloff torque arm slot and threaded eyelets for fenders, racks and Surly trailer mounts
- Braze-ons/extrasFull-length Surly Trip Guide housing line guides for derailleurs and brakes; two sets of bottle cage mounts; removable post cantilever pivots; upper seatstay threaded barrels, 4 sets of triple bottle mounts, mid-and low-blade fully threaded through-blade fork eyelets; threaded holes for racks, fenders and trailer mounting nuts
- Disc and rim brake compatible. Disc mounts are 51mm IS Rim brake pivots are removable. Note: rear disc brake is limited to 160mm maximum rotor diameter and requires the use of Surly caliper adapter (included with frames and bikes)
- Frame is ED Coated for increased life expectancy
- Tire clearance for 26 x 3"