The Ghost Grappler is Surly’s dedicated drop-bar trail bike. With mountain geo designed around a comfortable, confident drop-bar hand position, it’s lively and responsive on single track, double track, and other degraded surfaces. Ready to haul essential gear for all-day dirt rides and quick bikepacking excursions, thru-axles front and rear provide ideal stiffness and handling. Built around 27.5” wheels and compatible with internally geared hub and single-speed setups, Surly’s tried-and-true Gnot-Boost spacing allows riders to run 142mm or 148mm rear hubs.
Cleared for girthy tires and decorated with an array of mounts for hauling your daily provisions and overnight gear, the Ghost Grappler is ready to take you and your paraphernalia down that overgrown fire road for an extrasensory experience. There’s nothing to be afraid of. Probably.
Featuring Surly’s versatile Gnot-Boost spacing, allowing riders to run 142mm or Boost 148mm rear hubs; thru-axles; stealth dropper post routing; non-suspension corrected.
Custom dropouts ready to run single-speed or internally geared hub setups.
Seatstay-mounted bottle bosses, plus three-pack mounts at the top and bottom of the down tube.
Clearance for 27.5 x 2.8” or 29 x 2.1" tires (with or without fenders).
- Frame Construction: 100% Surly Chromoly Steel frame, Natch tubing, double-butted main triangle, TIG welded, E.D. coated
- Fork Construction: 100% Surly Chromoly Steel fork, Natch tubing, double-butted tapered fork blades, TIG welded, E.D. coated
- Rear Dropout Configuration: Horizontal slotted with optional vertical dumpout
- Rear Hub Spacing: "Gnot-Boost" 145mm; 12 x 142mm or 12 x 148mm (Surly axle included); 10 x 135mm with Surly 10/12 Adapter Washers (not included)
- Front Hub Spacing: 15 x 110mm (Surly axle included)
- Brake Standard: Rear Disc - 51mm I.S. (203mm max rotor), Front Disc - 51mm I.S. (203mm max rotor)
- Headtube: Ø34mm
- Steerer Tube: Ø28.6mm
- Crown Race: Ø30mm (1-1/8")
- Stock Headset (S.H.I.S): Upper EC34 or ZS34, Headset Lower (S.H.I.S) EC34
- Seat Collar: 33.1mm
- Seatpost: Ø30.9mm
- Front Derailleur (Clamp): High direct mount top-pull (Ø34.9mm) 26mm offset adapter (not included) for 142 or 135mm rear hub spacing 29mm offset adapter (not included) for 148mm rear hub spacing
- Max Chainring (CL): 1x (mtn): 36T, 2x (mtn): 36/26T, 1x (Boost): 38T, 2x (Boost): 39/32T
- Bottom Bracket: 73mm BSA, threaded
- Tire Clearance Frame: 27.5 x 3” (27.5 x 2.8” with fender), 29 x 2.1–2.5” with or without fender (2.1” clearance with wheel all the way forward; 2.5” clearance with wheel all the way back in dropout)
- Tire Clearance Fork: 27.5 x 2.8” (27.5 x 2.6” with fender), 29 x 2.2” (29 x 2.0” with fender)
- Rigid Fork Spec: 420 x 50mm
- Bottle Mounts Frame: 3-pack mounts on upper and lower downtube; seat tube bottle mounts on frame sizes S–XL
- Bottle Mounts Fork: 3-pack mounts on each fork blade
- Rack Mounts Frame: Yes (upper and lower threaded)
- Rack Mounts Fork: Yes (upper and mid-blade threaded)
- Fender Mounts Frame: Yes
- Fender Mounts Fork: Yes
- Other Features: Internal dropper post routing