Wilfried Schmidt Maschinenbau has developed and manufactured hub dynamos of finest quality in Tübingen since 1995.
Durability and smooth running of the hub have been essential design criteria from the start. Schmidt has built more than 150.000 pcs of Schmidts Original Nabendynamo, „SON“ for short.
These SON hubs provide reliable lighting for commuters and sportive cyclists all over the world. Standard model is SON 28. The 3 Watts nominal output are achieved at about 15 km/h in large wheels (700c / 29er). The current SON 28 in spherical shape is much lighter than its predecessor. It is 440 g only.
Schmidt constructed a weight-saving generator – other than competitor designs with reduced dimensions crucial for durability (e.g. thickness of flanges). Smooth running was maintained with the new model, regardless whether lights are switched on or off. Especially when running at idle the generator proves its high quality:
SON power consumption is little more than that of a high-end front hub without generator. Many standard off-the-shelf hub dynamos consume three times as much energy!
ON 28 is a generally approved hub dynamo for all wheel sizes up to 700c (29"). On a 28"-wheel nominal output is reached at about 16 km/h. SON 28 is recommended when more light is required at low speed or when other devices are to be operated or their batteries recharged.
- Electric Power: 6V / 3W according to German government's road traffic regulations (StVZO)
- Fits Wheelsizes: 16" - 29"
- Efficiency: 65% at 15 km/h in 700c-wheel
- No-Load Power Input: 0,5 W at 15 km/h in 700c-wheel
- Magnets: neodym iron boron, 26 poles
- Connection: 4,8 mm flat spades, 2-pin to connect without ground connection (special design without connectors)
- Axle: hollow axle Ø 10 mm, strain-hardened stainless steel, (Center Lock rotor mounting system licenses by Shimano: aluminium 7075 T6)
- Bearings: deep groove ball bearing 629 2RSH (SKF)
- Hub Shell: Aluminium 6082 T6
- Sealing: alloy dust shields, rubber lip seals and pressure compensation system
- Spoke Drillings: 32 Holes
- Weight:c 440 g (ISO 6-bolt: 460 g
- Disc Mount: Standard IS-6 Disc
- Direct Connection to Velotraum Fork (without cable connector)
- Axle: 5mm QR
- Warranty: 5 years